ADSM-L

Re: Passwordaccess Generate

2004-12-16 14:47:44
Subject: Re: Passwordaccess Generate
From: Chris Rodgers <rodgers AT PHYSCHEM.OX.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:40:06 +0000
OR alternatively, you can use the TSM command line command:  SET ACCESS.
Read about this in the book, or the HELP.
OK, I see that this provides a work around.

Also under UTILITIES, you can change your own password, instead of
letting the TSM server do it.
If your TSM admin has set up to force password change every 30 days, and
you change it on day 29, the TSM server won't change it again.  So you
WILL know what it is.
Except that you need to know the (potentially random by now)
autogenerated password first. Is it true that scheduled backups need to
have an autogenerated password enabled?

It strikes me that there should be some facility to tell the user what
the new password is when it's changed (e.g., as I say, the MAILPROG
option under unix). Would you trust your login password to your SSH
client for example... having it randomly change the thing once a month
or so, and never let you know what it is? Of course, you can just reset
the login password when you finally need it again, but still. It seems
strange to me to take a password completely out of the user's control
like this.

Chris.