ADSM-L

Re: Passwordaccess Generate

2004-12-16 15:03:04
Subject: Re: Passwordaccess Generate
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:02:01 -0500
> Also under UTILITIES, you can change your own password, instead of
> letting the TSM server do it.
> If your TSM admin has set up to force password change every 30 days,
and
> you change it on day 29, the TSM server won't change it again.  So you
> WILL know what it is.
***Except that you need to know the (potentially random by now)
autogenerated password first.

Well, you can't find it.  But you can have the TSM admins reset it to
something you DO know. (And yes, I understand that's a hassle for you).

** Is it true that scheduled backups need to
have an autogenerated password enabled?

Yes and no, depending on what you mean.
The PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE parm causes 2 things:
  1) it causes the password to be stored in the registry.
        THIS IS REQUIRED in order for the scheduler to run without
waiting with a prompt for you to enter the password.
  2) it causes the password to change automatically IFF the server parms
specify that passwords expire after n days.
        This is not required.
        And, the scheduler doesn't require a password that was
AUTOGENERATED by the server.
        The password in the registry just has to match the password as
it is set on the TSM server, at the time the scheduler tries to run.

BUT,
If you are using the scheduler, you will need to change the password in
the SCHEDULER as well as the GUI, if you do it manually.
Pull down Utilities/SETUP WIZARD
Click HELP ME CONFIGURE THE SCHEDULER
Highlight the current scheduler
Take all the defaults, except put in the new password.

Can't remember if you have to restart the scheduler, I don't think so.
(And yes, that's a hassle for you, too.  You may want to stick with SET
ACCESS as a solution, if your admins require frequent changes.)