ADSM-L

Re: TSM DB and RLOG sizes

2004-10-13 06:35:34
Subject: Re: TSM DB and RLOG sizes
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:34:32 +0200
Hi,

You can increase your database a hundred(maybe even a thousand), times
bigger without suffering
performance problems.

In the Admin guide the space occupied by each object (30Million of them), is
explained.
You will definately need to increase your db size.

Regards
ChristoH

> Up to now I kept my DB and Rlog sizes to a minimum (96MB and 50MB
> respectively). Most of my backups are SQL dbases or large files so there
was
> no need to increase them.
> However, I have a new client (windows) that requires to backup a complex
> folder structure with about 30 million files! These are cheque images of
> about 20KB each - the total space is 600GB.
> I have no problem with my storage pool as I have enough empty tapes.
> I'm worried about the DB and Rlog sizes that I have to increase - I just
> don't know how much. A colleague suggested something between 1% and 5% of
> the size of the data to be backed up.
> Has anyone faced a similar situation, and if yes, any suggestions on the
> sizes ?
> Are there any catches as to how performance is affected by such a large
> database ?
>
> Environment:
> TSM 5.2.0 on Win2000
> TSM Client 5.2.0 on Win2000
>
> Thanks
> Yiannakis
>

> Yiannakis Vakis
> Systems Support Group, I.T.Division
> Tel. 22-848523, 99-414788, Fax. 22-337770

Important Notice:
Authorised Financial Services Provider

Important restrictions, qualifications and disclaimers
("the Disclaimer") apply to this email. To read this click on the
following address or copy into your Internet browser:

http://www.absa.co.za/ABSA/EMail_Disclaimer

The Disclaimer forms part of the content of this email in terms of
section 11 of the Electronic Communications and Transactions
Act, 25 of 2002.

If you are unable to access the Disclaimer, send a blank e-mail
to disclaimer AT absa.co DOT za and we will send you a copy of the
Disclaimer.