ADSM-L

TSM DB and RLOG sizes

2004-10-13 04:21:14
Subject: TSM DB and RLOG sizes
From: Yiannakis Vakis <yiannakis.vakis AT ITD.BANKOFCYPRUS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:09:20 +0300
Up to now I kept my DB and Rlog sizes to a minimum (96MB and 50MB
respectively). Most of my backups are SQL dbases or large files so there was
no need to increase them.
However, I have a new client (windows) that requires to backup a complex
folder structure with about 30 million files! These are cheque images of
about 20KB each - the total space is 600GB.
I have no problem with my storage pool as I have enough empty tapes.
I'm worried about the DB and Rlog sizes that I have to increase - I just
don't know how much. A colleague suggested something between 1% and 5% of
the size of the data to be backed up.
Has anyone faced a similar situation, and if yes, any suggestions on the
sizes ?
Are there any catches as to how performance is affected by such a large
database ?

Environment:
TSM 5.2.0 on Win2000
TSM Client 5.2.0 on Win2000

Thanks
Yiannakis

Yiannakis Vakis
Systems Support Group, I.T.Division
Tel. 22-848523, 99-414788, Fax. 22-337770