ADSM-L

Re: slow running windows 2000 client backup

2004-07-12 16:18:25
Subject: Re: slow running windows 2000 client backup
From: Robert Clark <raclark AT REGENCE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:18:03 -0700
I ran into a similar problem a while back where a W2K system had the Fibre
Channel and Fast Ethernet sharing the same interrupt.

Backup was the most demanding workload the node saw, so the problem only
manifested during backup.

In our case, the server admin swapped the onboard and add-in network card
IP addresses, and the problem went away.

Unlikely I know, but may be worth checking if you're exhausted the other
possibilities.

[RC]

                      "Richard Sims"
                      <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>                To:    ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      Sent by: "ADSM: Dist       cc:
                      Stor Manager"              Subject:      Re: slow running
windows 2000 client backup
                      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

                      07/12/2004 12:28 PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

                      |-------------------|
                      | [ ] Secure E-mail |
                      |-------------------|

>Thanks for your quick response.  Unfortunately we reviewed everything
>that is running on the box and came up with nothing.  We also ran
>performance monitor all night and all we see (especially during the long
>waits) is that nothing is going on (memory, processing etc).  Once we
>start transmitting data, the stats start fluctuating and look normal (as
>it should when processes are running).  This has us totally stumped...

Hi, Ralph -

A good one you have there.  You are up to date on W2000 and sounds like
you've
covered the basics in looksee.  The problem smells like a file system or
disk
problem - perhaps the latter in that the manifestation seems to involve so
many files (severe fragmentation may contribute to it).  A DOS command
which
runs through the file system reporting attributes may help reveal there
things
are mired.  A commercial disk analyzer may be of help.  Personally, I would
pursue a TSM client trace.  The latest trace issuance info is in the 4.2
Trace
Facility manual.  I have notes on Client Tracing in ADSM QuickFacts.  You
can
also take cues from info in IBM's web pages, such as in
Such a client trace should reveal where the time is being spent.
We'd be interested in what's found on this problem.

   thanks, Richard Sims

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains
information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for
the entity or individual to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any
disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited.
Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally
binding signature.