ADSM-L

Re: slow running windows 2000 client backup

2004-07-12 13:43:08
Subject: Re: slow running windows 2000 client backup
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:42:55 -0400
>I have a windows 2000 clients (v5 sp 4 build 2195) running tsm 5.1.7
>who's incremental backup never ends.  Using the timestamps next to
>message:  ANS1898I , it is taking between 5 minutes and 1 hour to parse
>through 500 files.  I have 100+ other servers that take about 2/100 of a
>second to pass through 500 files.

Ralph - Common issues are summarized in the "Backup performance" entry
        in http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts , which is a
compilation of all the things that have bitten us in the past.

See what else is running: this may be the classic, oft-cited case of a
virus-checking program running at the same time.  You have the advantage
of being able to compare that bad system to one of the others and find
just what's different.  That system might also be thrashing on paging
(too little real memory for its workload).

  Richard Sims