ADSM-L

Re: Sizing an AIX platform and tape libraries

2004-03-23 21:02:10
Subject: Re: Sizing an AIX platform and tape libraries
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:01:08 +1000
Hi Nancy

We are similar size now to what you will be.

Our big backup is 2x150GB SAP/DB2 streams, with about another 100GB of other
stuff, mostly small nodes.  We have a lot of small apps on a sun cluster and
each app gets its own node and dsmcad process so we can fail them over
individually. About 120 active nodes AIX, Solaris and  Windows. Everything
except the SAP backups is compressed at the client end, but we also have tape
compression  turned on.

We have been running with 4 3590E drives fibre attached in a 3494.  This has
worked really well.  We have 200GB of disk stgpool and everything other than
our big SAP backups goes to disk.  Management has insisted on monthly archives
and we do those on a rolling schedule Friday and Saturday nights.  TSM Copes
with the load really well. We are ½ way through implementing 3592 drives and a
second site tape library also 3494 with 3592s.  They seem rock-solid so far and
their capacity is extraordinary.  We've been running some production backups to
them for two weeks and haven't yet filled a tape!
TSM is 5223 , AIX is 5.1 RML05, both 64 bit.
We run on a 1 CPU P690 lpar with only 2GB of memory - that's a bit light on for
memory, but we cope.  This is the machine that all the AIX admins log into and
also runs TotalStorage Expert (java + memory hungry) to collect and analyse the
ESS array stats.
We have two separate sans and two fibre adapters and run disk and tape traffic
on both.  Everything is dual connected except the offsite stuff, but that will
happen soon.  Our edge san switches are only 1Gb - we should really upgrade
them.

We have a 100Mb network for commmand and control purposes and two Gigabit nics
on separate vlans - this is mostly just to keep the IP address that the machine
used to have until the various box admins get around to changing the IPs in
their config files - Windows boxes don't use DNS here for some reason.

We've been running this way for a year and TSM is very efficient.

HTH

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health
Brisbane, Australia

>>> Brizuela AT UWYO DOT EDU 24/03/2004 10:19:20 >>>
Hello All,

We will be phasing out our OS/390 mainframe in the next few years.
Currently, we have our TSM server installed on the mainframe, so we will
need to move it off and on to something else.  Based on conversations to
this list and the Redbook, IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Implementation
Guide, I believe that we definitely need to move to AIX.  The above
Redbook is not very helpful as far as sizing the AIX machine, saying
that it is an "inexact" art.  Here are our current and future
requirements:

1)  Right now we are backing up about 150 GB/ night, but we need to add
Exchange and a new student information system (Banner) to this.  We are
estimating that we will soon grow to at least 500 -600 GB/night.

2)  Workload consists of 95 clients, consisting of from small 20-30gb
Unix and Windows systems, to DB (Oracle) and file servers with half to
one terabyte of storage.  This will grow to 120 or so clients soon.

3)  We are currently storing 10.7 TB total data in two libraries, one
local tape library and a second copy of everything at a remote tape
library (3494 ATLs w/3590 E drives).  Looks like this storage could
triple, given how much we will be backing up each night (15 TB in each
location).

4)  Network is Gigabit Ethernet.

5)  We would like to use one large server vs. multiple servers.

Does anyone have a similar scenario that is on AIX that works well?
Please describe, including tape libraries!  Does anyone know of any
additional guidance available on choosing an AIX platform size and
choosing an appropriate tape library?

Thanks!

Nancy Brizuela
University of Wyoming
IBM Systems Group
Ivinson Room 238
(307)766-2958

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in
error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by return
email.  You should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies produced.