ADSM-L

Re: Sizing an AIX platform and tape libraries

2004-03-24 09:37:35
Subject: Re: Sizing an AIX platform and tape libraries
From: Steve Roder <spr AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:37:03 -0500
Hi Nancy,

     We have a pair of servers, each backing up about 200GB/night over
Gige.  The machines are both running AIX 5.2 ML02 and TSM 5.2.1.0:

7026-6H1, 4 x 600MHz CPU's  2.5GB Memory
7026-H80, 4 x 600MHz CPU's  2.0GB Memory

Each machine has a pair of HBA's for access to 10 3590H's in our 3494, and
access to 4 LTO2 drives in a remote 3584.  Primary data goes to the 3494,
and the 3584 is used as a collocated copypool.

We just moved the TSM DB/log/Cache from local SSA disk to SAN attached
storage in two Hitaci 9960's.  Each server mirrors it's DB/logs between
the two 9960's using TSM, and it's disk cache using AIX mirroring.  The
"DR 9960" is in a different location than the two machines, and the other
9960.  This disk is accessed via another pair of HBA.

In both cases of the HBA-pairs: they are on different fabrics.

Each server has about 300-400 clients.  We take weekly cold backups of
Oracle DB, and will soon be doing that over the SAN.

Also, each server is using about 78GB of DB space (125GB total space right
now allocated to the DB), and has 30TB of data in each library.

We take daily full backups of the TSM DB to the 3584, and they take about
1 hour.  Soon, one of the servers will move to the location of the 3584,
and will then backup it's DB to the 3494.  Each server has dual-NICs, and
could very easily be setup, in a disaster, to run both servers.

I hope this helps you size your server, and show how much can be done
these days to protect from failures of all kinds....

Steve Roder
University at Buffalo

> Hello All,
>
> We will be phasing out our OS/390 mainframe in the next few years.
> Currently, we have our TSM server installed on the mainframe, so we will
> need to move it off and on to something else.  Based on conversations to
> this list and the Redbook, IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Implementation
> Guide, I believe that we definitely need to move to AIX.  The above
> Redbook is not very helpful as far as sizing the AIX machine, saying
> that it is an "inexact" art.  Here are our current and future
> requirements:
>
> 1)  Right now we are backing up about 150 GB/ night, but we need to add
> Exchange and a new student information system (Banner) to this.  We are
> estimating that we will soon grow to at least 500 -600 GB/night.
>
> 2)  Workload consists of 95 clients, consisting of from small 20-30gb
> Unix and Windows systems, to DB (Oracle) and file servers with half to
> one terabyte of storage.  This will grow to 120 or so clients soon.
>
> 3)  We are currently storing 10.7 TB total data in two libraries, one
> local tape library and a second copy of everything at a remote tape
> library (3494 ATLs w/3590 E drives).  Looks like this storage could
> triple, given how much we will be backing up each night (15 TB in each
> location).
>
> 4)  Network is Gigabit Ethernet.
>
> 5)  We would like to use one large server vs. multiple servers.
>
> Does anyone have a similar scenario that is on AIX that works well?
> Please describe, including tape libraries!  Does anyone know of any
> additional guidance available on choosing an AIX platform size and
> choosing an appropriate tape library?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Nancy Brizuela
> University of Wyoming
> IBM Systems Group
> Ivinson Room 238
> (307)766-2958

Steve Roder
University at Buffalo
(spr AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564)