ADSM-L

Re: DSMFMT takes forever ( 15 hours). 100 gb

2003-09-03 17:45:45
Subject: Re: DSMFMT takes forever ( 15 hours). 100 gb
From: "William F. Colwell" <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 17:45:11 -0400
Duane,

I don't have an answer for your problem, but I can tell you the same thing
happens on solaris.

My main servers are using raw partitions as recommended and they scream.
But to put up a test server I use space on filesystems.  For a server to run
decently the
filesystem has to be mounted with 'forcedirectio,nologging' mount parameters.
But strangely, the reverse is true for formatting.  When I set up a test
instance
I have to unmount & remount the filesystem without forcedirectio,nologging.
After the formatting is done I go back to forcedirectio,nologging to run the
server.

The other day I formatted 37G in about 10 minutes.

Maybe aix has similar options.

Hope this helps,

Bill
At 12:22 PM 9/3/2003, you wrote:
>Does anyone know of or had problems with formatting additional space for
>diskpools ?
>
>TSM server : AIX 5.1 ML3 64-bit enabled. 2GB memory 2 cpu H80
>
>Disk type : 6 member raid set about 700 GB
>
>JFS2
>
>Trying to format 100gb diskpool. Each time I have tried it brings the TSM
>server to almost a stand still. TSM is up on the box but nothing is running
>during 8 hours of the format. Should be more than enough time to format
>100gb of space.
>
>Any ideas ?
>
>> Duane Ochs
>> Enterprise Computing