ADSM-L

Re: define devclass file on w2k not working on mounted share?

2003-08-17 06:27:18
Subject: Re: define devclass file on w2k not working on mounted share?
From: Steven Pemberton <stevep AT IBK.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:25:10 +1000
On Saturday 09 August 2003 00:25, you wrote:
> From: Tobias Hofmann [mailto:tobias.hofmann AT MEDIEN.UNI-WEIMAR DOT DE]
>
> > I would like to create a devclass of devtype=file on a windows 2000
> > server (w2k) running tsm5.1.0.0 using as dir-path a mounted share of
> > another machine. So what I do is I mount the share of the
> > other machine,
> > using the gui-analogon to "net use" (sorry, German OS here, don,t know
> > the English terms by heart), on, say, drive f:, and then do
> >
> > define devclass remoteshare devtype=file dir="f:\tsmbackups" on the
> > admin command line. result is
> >
> > ANR8366E DEFINE DEVCLASS: Invalid value for DIRECTORY parameter.
>
> Remember that a drive letter doesn't get mapped unless the user who
> mapped the drive is logged on. That's why TSM doesn't allow device
> classes to use drive mappings in the directory parameter.

Also, since TSM (on Windows) usually runs under the "Local System" account, it
probably doesn't have enough permission to access any network resources,
either mapped or UNC.

Steven P.

--
Steven Pemberton
Senior Enterprise Management Consultant

Mobile: +61/0 418 335 136 | Phone: +61/3 9820 5811 | Fax: +61/3 9820 9907
Level 1, 11 Queens Road, Melbourne, Victoria, 3004, Australia
http://www.senetas.com.au | http://www.ibk.com.au | http://www.datum.com.au