ADSM-L

DB2 restore and commtimeout

2003-05-11 20:51:31
Subject: DB2 restore and commtimeout
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 10:03:04 +1000
Hi All,

I recently inherited a SAP/R3 db2 system and merged the old TSM on which it had
been running with my usual TSM instance.
This uses native DB2/TSM interface to do the backup, not the TSM for R3 agent.

The users are trying to clone their production Database using what DB2 terms a
"redirected restore".  DB2 creates a session with TSM which mounts a tape and a
small amount of data is pulled from it.  DB2 then formats the database
containers and finally starts to restore the data.

On the old system commtimeout was set at 30000 seconds.  This meant that the
restore would hold the tape drive - without using it - for the three hours it
needs to format its 300GB of space.  I figured that if I set commtimeout to
something more reasonable, TSM would time out and free the drive and then
re-establish the session and continue when data was actually needed.

I was wrong.  The session times out, DB2 formats the containers and then the
restore fails with a -50 return code - Session lost.

Questions.

Is this normal DB2 behavior?
Is there any DB2 parameter to get around this? - a method of restoring and
formatting at the same time would be nice.
What are the consequences on the rest of the system of setting commtimeout so
high?

AIX 5.1 RML03 on client and server
DB2 is v 7.1.2.60
TSM client is 5.1.5.0
TSM Server is 4.2.3.3

TIA

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.