ADSM-L

Re: What is the game plan for mixing clients on the same server?

2002-12-09 15:15:57
Subject: Re: What is the game plan for mixing clients on the same server?
From: Sias Dealy <hnre AT UREACH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 15:13:13 -0500
George,

There is nothing wrong with TSM clients on AIX, Solaris,
Windowns, Mac., or Novell backing up to one TSM server.

There is one thing that need to be kept in mind.
What is the  client growth rate?
How many clients are you going to be adding in the next 6
months to a year? How many clients are you going to have in
about 4 years from now?

For the distance foture you many want to be thinking about
adding another TSM server in the budget.

When I was a consultant for this company, a few years ago. The
company wanted to increase the TSM server performance.

Expiration never completes since it only have an 8 hour window
on friday night.

There were over 3,000+ TSM clients backing up to one TSM server.
After evaluating there system, there were no parameter(s) that
can be tweek since the parameter(s) have been tweek to its
optimal performace. The solution was to split the TSM server.
Basicly the company hit the hardware limitation, and of course
they did not like the idea of getting another TSM server.
Since the system admin did not like my solution called tech
support and got the same information.

Just something to keep in mind.

Sias

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

---- On    , Hagopian, George (GHagopian AT ICTGROUP DOT COM) wrote:

> I have been running TSM for all my AIX boxes...now I will be
moving all
> Windows boxes to TSM as well...excited about doing this (yeah
yeah yeah) but
> after thinking about it, would it be better to put all the
Win boxes (2k,NT)