ADSM-L

Re: What is the game plan for mixing clients on the same server?

2002-12-10 13:28:43
Subject: Re: What is the game plan for mixing clients on the same server?
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:27:21 -0600
Divide by function, not by OS. There is no problem throwing all the
different client OSs into one server together. But with one big happy
family server there are inevitable conflicts of schedules, policies,
tuning settings, etc. I am currently dividing into two servers, one for
single-user workstations (i.e. desktop PCs and personal Unix
workstations) and the other for larger servers. Each server will have
some Windows, AIX, Solaris, Linux... clients in it, but within each
server those client nodes will be for similar PURPOSES, and so can be
managed similarly. I'm even going to run the two ITSM servers together
on one computer. This split will have the side benefit of cutting my
database into chunks of a more manageable size. (Lots of discussion on
that in other threads right now.)