ADSM-L

Re: What is the game plan for mixing clients on the same server?

2002-12-09 13:12:08
Subject: Re: What is the game plan for mixing clients on the same server?
From: "Mr. Lindsay Morris" <lmorris AT SERVERGRAPH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 13:06:33 -0500
Well, IMHO:

Just because you CAN have lots of different domains does NOT mean that you
SHOULD.
For simplicity's sake, many sites can have ONE domain and ONE schedule that
will work OK for most nodes.

I don't think you need to be concerned about NT users accidentally restoring
AIX stuff - they have to try pretty hard (using VIRTUALNODENAME, etc) to
have one machine recover another machine's files.

If you want to separate includes and excludes by OS, you should use client
option sets for that, not domains.

Where you MIGHT want to start breaking stuff into different domains is when
you have legal or technical retention policies: like, 7-year-legal
requirement here, keep-many-versions for the developers there, etc.  This is
because the most important thing you get by putting a client node into a
domain is a default POLICY, ie how many versions and how many days to retain
files.  (You can overide the default policy, of course, by using a different
management class for the node, or even a directory or filename pattern on
the node, in the include-exclude list.)

So you could have:
Node            OS              Dept            Domain  Cloptset
ordinary        NT              Acct            STANDARD        NTOPTS
acctarchive     WinXP           Acct            7YEAR           XPOPTS
newsystem       AIX             Acct            DEVEL           AIXOPTS
oldspecs        NT              Engineering     7YEAR           NTOPTS
joespc  WinXP           Engineering     STANDARD        XPOPTS
geniuspc        Solaris Engineering     DEVEL           SOLOPTS

and so on.