ADSM-L

Re: How reliable are your 3590 K media

2002-01-09 22:24:15
Subject: Re: How reliable are your 3590 K media
From: "Seay, Paul" <seay_pd AT NAPTHEON DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 22:21:28 -0500
Imation builds the tapes for IBM.

We had early problems with K tapes because they had to change the packing,
but nothing like what has been talked about here.  We were an early user of
K-Tapes.  Typically, it is a whole case that is bad because of shipping
damage to the tapes.  The tapes must be packed in special packaging that
should be there, but check.  The tapes are shrink-wrapped with plastic in
groups of 10.  In a case of 30 there should be an egg-like packing around
the tapes in the inner box.  Then the inner box should be packed in an outer
box with foam around it.  If that is not the way you got them, then that is
your problem.

If you are having a number of tapes bad it still may be the microcode.  I
will have to check the level we are running, but I think it is the current
GA.

Recently, we purchased a lot of Imation tapes (the first ones were IBM).  So
far there have been no problems.

Do the drives that you are using the tapes in have the green 2x sticker on
them and a few internal green parts.  If not that is your problem.  You
cannot use K tapes in a non-K drive.  I do not know that it will prevent you
from mounting them in the drive, though I thought that it would.  The other
piece we occasionally get is pressure errors  FID 4.

The next piece is handling of the tapes.  You drop a K tape and it is
probably dead.  If you are doing offsite movements, make sure you purchase
the turtle cases recommended by IBM and Imation or explain to your vendor to
handle the cases gently.  The next piece is the tapes should be shipped in a
vertical position (on edge).

Hope you get to the source of the problem.