ADSM-L

Re: How reliable are your 3590 K media

2002-01-10 09:04:55
Subject: Re: How reliable are your 3590 K media
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:02:10 -5
We have several thousand 3590K tapes.  In general we are very happy
with them.  Like you, we have experienced some problem with a few new
tapes, but no where near your 10% rate - more like less than 1%.
Once past the initial use, they are rock solid.

We just received another shippment of tapes.  THese tapes were
purchased straight from IBM.  THey were willing to beat (by a hair)
the best price from any other vendor, and, deliver them several weeks
faster.  It will be interesting to see if these tapes have the same
problems.

One suggestion - I believe there is a diagnostic utility built into
the 3590 drives.  You can put a tape in and have the drive check the
entire tape.  You could check your tapes this way, although it would
be a big job.  Also, with new tapes you might want to increase the
cleaning frequency on the drives until all the tapes have been used.

Rick