ADSM-L

Re: Can you use dual boot method to BMR Solaris with TSM 4.x?

2001-05-04 14:42:05
Subject: Re: Can you use dual boot method to BMR Solaris with TSM 4.x?
From: "Brian T. Huntley" <bth AT CLARKSON DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 14:42:52 -0400
On Fri, 4 May 2001, Keith Kwiatek wrote:

// Hello,
//
// Has anyone tried to use a dual boot method to allow a bare metal restore
// with a solaris 4.x client? In other words, would installing a bootable
// solaris instance into a  "temporary"  filesystem, along with the TSM4x
// client, --permit you to recover the original system "Completely"... kinda
// like using bootp....
//
// It seems if you try BMR by installing solaris on top of a solaris instance
// you get a bunch of errors as it steps on active OS files.....
//
// Keith
//
//

We have worked on this, although on Solaris 2.6 and 8, not 4.

The best way we have found is this:

        - Boot off a CD or an appropriate image on a JumpStart Server
        - Configure the slices on your disk at least as big as they were
          before
        - NFS mount the TSM software
        - Run restore
        - Reboot.

Just make sure that you update the TSM files to put the logs in /tmp, and
update the dsm.sys to reflect the node you want to restore.

The reason we actually did this was to make 'images' of servers, thus
ensuring that all of our round-robin-ed and redundant servers were running
the exact same configuration, with little or no potential for human error;
just change the hostname and IP and go!  Works very well.

-Brian
| Brian T. Huntley                                Systems Administrator |
| Campus Information Services, Clarkson University                      |
| Ph/FAX: 315.268-6723/6570                                             |
| bth AT clarkson DOT edu                                 www.clarkson.edu/cis |
 UNIX *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.