ADSM-L

Re: reclaim spoy stgpool volumes

2001-05-08 10:38:07
Subject: Re: reclaim spoy stgpool volumes
From: Jon Milliren <jon.milliren AT IA.PITT DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 10:20:41 -0400
Lindsay Morris wrote:

> The quote Jack offered is relevant to PRIMARY pools, but not to COPY pools,
> I think.
>
> TSM reclaims COPY (off-site) storage pools by using the drives and tapes
> available to the PRIMARY (on-site) storage pool.

        Right, that's what I gleaned from the admin guide.

> Jon, surely your onsite pool has two or more drives, right?
> Maybe reclamation didn't start because it's a relatively low-priority
> process (look up "preempt" in the Admin guide), and something more important
> (like backup db) was running.

        Right again. My primary storage pool has two drives, in fact, I see
reclaim going on for that storage pool.

        I left my copy storage pool reclaim threshold value at 40 over the
weekend. No reclaim took place for my copy pool, and I still have
volumes with > 40% reclaimable space.

        The Admin guide says reclamation threshold is "The percentage of
reclaimable space that a sequential access media volume must have before
the server can reclaim the volume." I have the reclamation threshold
parameter for the copy pool set to 40, so I should expect volumes with >
40% recaimable space to be reclaimed, right?

        Is there anything else that could prevent reclaim from occurring? As
far as I can tell, I've set it up properly.

        Big thank you to everyone who responded!

Jon

--
Jon Milliren
Jon Milliren