ADSM-L

Migration from Mainframe to AIX Platform

2001-04-23 10:37:22
Subject: Migration from Mainframe to AIX Platform
From: Sam Schrage <sam.schrage AT TRW DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:37:08 -0500
We are migrating from an S390 to an AIX platform.  We have 10 clients that
we have to migrate, of which I'm down to the last three--these are my
problem 'children' because of size.   One of the clients has used Space
Management (HSM) over the past several years and we have about 200GB
migrated.  From previous experience, we do not have enough space to recall
all files, or do we have the time, either.  All other clients I was able to
do via the network(100 megabit) but these last few are so large I don't
think I could trust the network, or our system, to stay up long enough to
get it all done.

I am worried about the HSM'ed data more than anything.  I calculated that
if I just do an ALLACTIVE on that client (200GB) that we're looking at 3-4
days via network to EXPORT, and probably about as long if we used
tape-to-tape--our S390 CPU runs between 90%-100% steadily.  Is there a way
to take the filespaces separately across over the next several weeks/months
and still have them valid when I get to the new platform?  On the other
clients we just switched over, got the initial backup, but I'm thinking
that with HSM I have to have one backup to prevent it from recalling,
backup, and migrating all the files.

I've considered EXPORT to tape, but I think it would take just about as
long to do...I don't see that much activity on the network during the
process.  It seems to be the EXPORT process...reading tapes and
processing...that takes so long.

Could we run 2 clients on the same workstation...one pointing to the old
systems, one pointing to the new system?

I feel like I have 20 pounds of something and trying to stuff it into a 5
pound bag!   Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  I'm new at
this and thought when I volunteered for this group it was pretty much under
control.  And then the 'expert' left the company....

Sam Schrage
Sr UNIX/Tivoli Systems Admin
TRW
sam.schrage AT trw DOT com