ADSM-L

Re: Backup of Remote Sites

2001-04-05 12:15:42
Subject: Re: Backup of Remote Sites
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:16:41 -0500
David Nash wrote:
>There are several people doing backups of remote sites
>across a WAN.  Most have commented that they have been
>successful.  The consensus seems to be that success depends
>on the exact situation.  Everyone reccomends using client
>compression.  "It doen't hurt to try it."
>
>We will be trying our first site this weekend.  If anyone
>whats to know how it went, email me OTL next week.

One more bit to toss out:

If your data delta on WAN-attached TSM clients is rather high for the
bandwidth and time restrictions you face, I had one customer who found a
clever way around it. T1s connected the TSM server from many of the WAN
clients. The customer had the WAN vendor take a portion of the T1 pipe
(32K, I think) and reroute it through a smaller number of routers than
the balance of the pipe.

Thus, OSPF allowed my customer to reserve that bit of bandwidth for a
7x24 backup scheme. The TSM backup could use a larger share of the
bandwidth if it was available, but it always had at least 32K to use.

I'm not a network engineer, but it looked pretty clever, and it worked.