ADSM-L

Re: Backing up exchange servers using Veritas interface to TSM

2001-04-05 12:21:33
Subject: Re: Backing up exchange servers using Veritas interface to TSM
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:22:35 -0500
"O'Connell, John R" wrote:
>We are going to start backing up our MS exchange servers.  I would
>prefer to use the TDP for M/S exchange.  Our exchange & NT people would
>prefer Veritas because it does mailbox or brick level backups.  They would
>use the VERITAS to TSM interface to store the backups on our TSM server.  Is
>anyone using VERITAS to TSM interface method to back up M/S exchange
>servers?

Remind your NT and Exchange people that Veritas ignores Microsoft's APIs
and uses its own. The upshot is that anytime an NT or Exchange box gets
a hotfix or service pack installed, they run the risk that Veritas won't
work afterward. I've also got one customer who won't touch Veritas
because of what it does to local Outlook mailboxes.

(And besides, the workaround for brick-level restores is easy. Restore
the Exchange data to a test box, and then move the account from test to
production. I'd be more inclined to do that *anyway* for an account
restore, as touchy as Exchange can be in a production environment.)

A word to the wise.