ADSM-L

Re: Long Term Archive for Databases

2001-04-05 12:09:14
Subject: Re: Long Term Archive for Databases
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:50:53 -0500
My standard rant on this (based on past experience):

"Data to be archived for more than one year will be flat-filed in 8-bit
ASCII and written to tape UNBLOCKED with a record length that is divisible
by 4. The source code to the unload and reload programs will be archived at
the same time, as well as the SOURCE code for the application."

Just TRY to peel off a Burroughs medium-system Forte/II database from a
Burroughs dump tape to a Honeywell DPS-8 sometime -- and, a bit later, a
Honeywell dump tape of a DM-IV database to an IBM MVS platform . . .

We're currently using the SAP Archivelink process to extract data from
SAP/Oracle, and IBM's Commonstore to pass it to TSM. I'll let you know in
about eight years (past experience again) if this was a good idea. I've 25
years at the same company, and we've done 4 major platform changes in that
time period -- Burroughs MCPV to Honeywell GCOS-3 to IBM MVS (SP, XA, ESA)
to IBM AIX, and Forte/II to DM-IV to IMS/CICS to SAP/Oracle

Just my twopenny-worth . . .

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc