ADSM-L

Re: weird backup

2000-12-15 12:59:42
Subject: Re: weird backup
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 13:00:07 -0500
I believe there is still processing involved in a selective backup.  The
TSM server still has to send info to the client, and the pervious versions
of the files are marked inactive.  I don't know if that accounts for all
the time you're seeing, but it may.  You can check the stats at the end of
the backup, see how much data was sent to the server, and how much was
received.  On the "new" backups, you shouldn't see much received, but I'd
guess you will see quite a bit on the subsequent selectives.

Since you indicate drive letter, I'm assuming NT here.  Since there is
still some client processing in the selective backup, you may also be being
bit by the "Big filesystem on NT" bug that's been discussed here more than
once.  The larger the number of files on an NT filesystem, the NTFS
allocation tree grows to the point where it's not too effecient, and you
start to see performance hits.

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

"I'm one cookie away from happy." - Snoopy (Charles Schulz)