ADSM-L

Re: Hanging server problem !!

2000-11-13 08:33:05
Subject: Re: Hanging server problem !!
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 08:32:00 -0500
>I have a 'major' problem. My ADSM server is 'Hanging it self' without telling
>anything in the ADSM-log or in any logs on Unix-level.  By 'Hanging it self'
>- means that it's not possiable for the clients to communicate/connect to the
>server.

The first thing I'd do is inspect your HP-UX process table to see if the ADSM
3.1.2.50 process is in a Stopped state: *maybe* someone did a 'kill -STOP' on
it.  If not that, and if you have an automated tape library, you could perhaps
see if a tape was mounted by the server and perhaps deduce what the server was
doing.  Also use 'netstat' and/or the public domain 'lsof' command to see what
TCP/IP connections were active with the server.  Check for datacomm hardware
problems which may be causing TCP/IP connections to stop/hang and thus clog
the server.

Also have a look at APARs IY04652 and IX79389 to see if they may pertain.

   Richard Sims, BU