ADSM-L

Re: Hanging server problem !!

2000-11-14 09:37:09
Subject: Re: Hanging server problem !!
From: "Matthew A. Bacchi" <mbacchi AT BTV.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:36:27 -0500
Jorgen,
        Try looking at the dsmserv.err file. It may have a Segmentation
violation and a bunch of traceback data, as well as a message indicating an
internal server error. I am running server version 3.1.2.55 and see this
somewhat often(every couple of weeks).  I have written a script that attempts
contact the server with a dsmadmc command, if it doesn't return in 2 minutes,
it alerts us. The admin command line interface will not return if this
condition exists with the server. The condition can be fixed by killing the
ADSM server process, then restarting it, it's not necessary to reboot the
machine.  I should also point out that I'm on AIX, not HP, but it might be
similar.

-Matt
>I have a 'major' problem. My ADSM server is 'Hanging it self' without te>I
>have a 'major' problem. My ADSM server is 'Hanging it self' without telling
>anything in the ADSM-log or in any logs on Unix-level.
>By 'Hanging it self' - means that it's not possiable for the clients to
>communicate/connect to the server.
>The problem is also that the server processes does not disapear on the Unix
>level, so that our monotoring systems will not be able to locate the problem.
>The only way, at the moment, to solve the problem is to reboot the Unix-server
>where the ADSM-server i s running.
>
>ADSM-server is ver. 3.1.2.50
>ADSM Client ver. 3.1.08
>
>I'm running ADSM on HP/UX ver. 11.0
>
>Is there anyone out there who have had the same problem and know how to solve
>the problem.

Matt Bacchi                              mbacchi AT us.ibm DOT com
IBM Global Services                     mbacchi AT btv.ibm DOT com
Dept. F6TG, MD Filesystems/Internet          (802) 769-4072
ADSM & AFS/DFS Backup                        (tie) 446-4072