ADSM-L

Re: Slow restore for large NT client outcome.. appeal to Tivoli

2000-09-21 15:30:58
Subject: Re: Slow restore for large NT client outcome.. appeal to Tivoli
From: Jeff Connor <connorj AT NIAGARAMOHAWK DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 15:00:12 -0400
As the person who started this thread I'd like to thank everyone
for their excellent feedback.

I'd also like to hear, as Kelly and a few others requested, about
and TSM'ers like Blair that also use other products or formally
used another product for backing up/restoring Windows NT clients.
It would be nice to know if our NT admins are correct in assuming
that Arcserve's or Backup Execs's are faster for recovering large
drives with lots of small files.
If you could also share a little about your specific
Arcserve/BackupExec/whatever setup, local tape versus over the
network, etc. that would be helpful as well.

To answer a couple questions folks had, we are using a DIRMC to
DASD for the NT clients, we are using 3590E1A tape drives not
DLT, and the TSM database is on an EMC 5930.

I will let everyone know how I make out with the TSM performance
team analysis as to why our restore for this server took so long.

Thanks again,
Jeff Connor
Niagara Mohawk Power Corp.