ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and AIX root access

2000-04-14 16:02:12
Subject: Re: ADSM and AIX root access
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 16:02:12 -0400
>We have ADSM server running on AIX 4.3.2 which is backing up many AIX client
>systems. The UNIX admins install the server and client code. The ADSM
>administrator does all other tasks related to ADSM.
>
>Our shop is trying to reduce the number of people that have access to the
>UNIX root userid.
>
>Question:  Is it possible to administer the ADSM server and its clients
>without having access to the UNIX root user?  By administer I mean things
>like changing the client options file, the server options file, recycling the
>client scheduler, and restoring files. How do other shops handle this?  Any
>thoughts would be appreciated.

Your reference to 'recycling the client scheduler' indicates that you are
using the central scheduler. Given that, concealing the clients' root
passwords from the ADSM administrator is essentially pointless. The ADSM
administrator can start up the ADSM administrative client and use the 'define
clientaction' command to tell centrally scheduled clients to run arbitrary
Unix commands with root authority.