ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and AIX root access

2000-04-14 15:55:31
Subject: Re: ADSM and AIX root access
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 15:55:31 -0400
We use sudo for nearly everything.  It is very flexible, giving us the
ability to delegate centralized restore functions to trustworthy students.
We also give the student printer operators sudo to control printer queues.

It works quite well.

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Lawrence Clark wrote:
> -You can change the permissions on the configuration files so other than root
> can access them.
> -You can install the PD program sudo so another user can execute specific
> commands as root, e.g., to recycle the client or server
> -For restoring files, if you are not root and do not own the files you in
> bind, unless you set up the dsmc restore as a sudo also
>
> Larry Clark
> NYS Thruway Authority

> We have ADSM server running on AIX 4.3.2 which is backing up many AIX client
> systems. The UNIX admins install the server and client code. The ADSM
> administrator does all other tasks related to ADSM.
>
> Our shop is trying to reduce the number of people that have access to the
> UNIX root userid.
>
> Question:  Is it possible to administer the ADSM server and its clients
> without having access to the UNIX root user?  By administer I mean things
> like changing the client options file, the server options file, recycling the
> client scheduler, and restoring files. How do other shops handle this?  Any
> thoughts would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Dale

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
ADSM Administrator
(tkssteve AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 |
http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)