ADSM-L

Re: Reclaim thresholds

2000-04-07 13:44:12
Subject: Re: Reclaim thresholds
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 13:44:12 -0400
I believe normally you would simply set the reclaim value on the storage pool
at a fixed amount with the suggestion that the value be greater than 50
percent. upd stg <stgpoolname> reclaim=<yourpercent>

Then after each run of the expire inventory, after the reclaim value is updated
on the volumes in the storage pool, a reclamation will be initiated for
candidate volumes.

The 1st time your change the reclaim value, expiration may be initiated
immediately.

Some people on this list have recommended using the move data, but I think it
is less efficient that using the reclamation process. It appears with move data
on offsite copypools TSM will select each of the volumes to reclaim a single
volume, but with the reclamation process TSM appears to move all the files off
each  source volume to reclaim all the volumes that are candidates, so there
are less mounts and less time taken to process multiple volumes.

Larry Clark
NYS Thruway Authority

>>> KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM 04/06/00 04:05PM >>>
I'm starting to run into a problem on reclaims and I'm looking for
suggestions.

I use Quantum DLT-7000 drives, and my data seems to compress well. I now
have off-site copy volumes that should be reclaimed. How do I indicate that
I want reclamation done on the volumes that are less than 50% full (and at
35 GB) (less than 17 GB to reclaim) but NOT reclaim the volumes that are
between 25 and 40% full (and at 100+ GB) (25 to 40+ GB to reclaim).

If I set maxcap for the device class, does ADSM stop writing at maxcap?
According to the on-line help, maxcap must be less than 64 GB; I've hit 115
GB on these tapes and (for assorted reasons) don't want to limit them to 64
GB.

Or do I just give up on ADSM reclaim and write some scripts to do move data
commands against off-site tapes with less than 20 GB on them?

TIA

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc