ADSM-L

Re: Building a *sm Solaris Server

2000-03-08 08:32:55
Subject: Re: Building a *sm Solaris Server
From: Michael Bruewer <bruewer AT UNI-HOHENHEIM DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 14:32:55 +0100
Hi,

> > - Does this system seem big enough to handle 600gb per night?

I don't think, 100 GB per hour is beyond any system limitations of the
E450. However, I doubt that *SM can manage the backup of *small*
files at this rate given the correspondingly large *SM database. For large
files this might work.

> > - Should I make one big stage pool or a few smaller ones?
>
> When you mirror the db and log, use ADSM mirroring.  Also, on your last
> question, are you asking about using volume manager to glue the disks
> together?  If so, don't.  Just create an ADSM stgpool volume per disk.

It depends. We decided to have the stage on two RAID-5 sets for
different policy domains on an external HW-Raid. Otherwise you might
loose the unique copy of a file by single disk failure when there is no
redundancy on the backup server side. But everything here is one order
of magnitude smaller, except the computer ;-) So maybe RAID-5 is to
time consuming or maybe you can guarantee that you have two copies
of the data at any time. In that case disk striping could be faster than
having one volume per disk, depending on the number of sessions and
migration processes. I am not sure wether *SM makes any attempt to
distribute sessions or migration processes to disk volumes.

Regards,

Michael

----
Dr. Michael Br"uwer
Dr. Michael Br"uwer
RZ der Univ. Hohenheim     70593 Stuttgart
bruewer AT uni-hohenheim DOT de   www.uni-hohenheim.de/~bruewer
Fon: +49-711-459-3838      Fax: -3449
PGP Public Key:
   RSA: http://www.uni-hohenheim.de/~bruewer/pgpkey_V2