ADSM-L

Re: TSM 3.7 GUI Admin - did I miss something?

1999-10-08 12:45:50
Subject: Re: TSM 3.7 GUI Admin - did I miss something?
From: JerryLawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 12:45:50 -0400
Eric (and everyone else)-

The feature you described, and the problem it is addressing, seem to me to be
only problems with a web based client.  Yes, the problem is real; yes the
solution as described seems to address the problem, but in a native GUI, the
problem does not exist in the first place.

Since I posted the initial note, I have tried both the backup and the admin
GUIs, trying to keep an open mind about what I saw.  I am sad to say that I
must agree with all of the postings.  I do not manage multiple servers, and
so have been able to use the GUI client quite nicely, thank you, and so was
not really aware that functionality was missing, because, I never needed it.

But what I do need is a way to continue to do my job in a reasonable fashion.
 I find great benefit in the "windows like" format of the GUI.  I often jump
from window to window; navigating back and forth through the browser frames
is not an improvement.  There is too much time spent in reloading frames;
that is a function of the browser, and the proxy might help, but it will
never be as good as a native GUI.

Obviously, I can go on and on, but I think it is better to hear from some
others besides myself.  In the last note I passed back and forth on IBMLink,
the person handling the PMR said that I could submit a design request; I
responded by asking how to do this.  When It is complete, I will post the
information here so that everyone interested can chime in with their support.

Jerry

Author:  owner-adsm-l AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU at SMTP
Date:    10/8/99 10:27 AM

Hey Gang,

I find this to be an interesting thread.  It is difficult to give up an
interface that we are used to however, in Tivoli Storage Manager 3.7, a
secure Web Admintrator proxy has been introduced which gives us
additional "features".  Web proxy caching will allow a web session
request to be satistied by the proxy without slamming the server, which
frees that server from a significant load.  Also, the Web proxy creates
a secure link between client and server at the time of a Web session.
This replaces SSL on Tivoli Storage Manager servers.  If additional
servers are defined using server-to-server communication, the proxy
server can be redirected to manage additional Tivoli Storage Manager
servers concurrently.  Just some food for thought.

Best Regards,

Eric Gruber
RISCmanagement, Inc.