ADSM-L

Re: TSM 3.7 GUI Admin - did I miss something?

1999-10-08 03:32:16
Subject: Re: TSM 3.7 GUI Admin - did I miss something?
From: Andreas Buser <andreas.buser AT BASLER DOT CH>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:32:16 +0200
Hi,

I would have nothing against the Webadmin, if it would be so reliable as
the normal GUI, if it would be so fast as the normal GUI, if the overview
and the possibilites (sorting, filtering , detail list etc) would be so
good as the normal GUI.  But as the webadmin is only a poor way of
encapsulating the commandline interface, wich is errorpruned, slow and
instable, so for productivity reasons I use the normal GUI.

If I have time or  if I  am away from my PC with the normal GUI, I sometime
use the webadmin, because it is "portable" (Browsers you find everywhere).
But for day to day productive doing, I only use ADMIN GUI or native
CMD-Line.

I support your point of view : Give  us back the real ADMIN-GUI!!!

If I'am hearing this, I will stay as long as possible at ADSM 3.2.1.40 on
OS/390 and wil not go to TSM 3.7 !!!

There we are now, TIVOLI people are not STORAGE-people like the ADSM-people
were. We ADSM Admins don't sit in front of our PCs and stare the hole day
at  long at red, green yellow, pink or whatever colored blinking icons, we
have to do productive work in managing DATA!

Kind Regards
Andreas Buser

Tel: ++41 61 285 73 21  Fax: ++41 61 285 70 98

Email: Andreas.Buser AT Basler DOT ch

Address:
Basler Versicherungen
Andreas Buser
Abt. Informatik
Aeschengraben 21
4002 Basel
Switzerland

                    JerryLawson
                    <jlawson@THEHAR        An:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    TFORD.COM>             Kopie:
                    Gesendet von:          Thema:  TSM 3.7 GUI Admin - did I
miss something?
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MARI
                    ST.EDU>

                    07.10.99 19:36
                    Bitte antworten
                    an "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Date:     October 7, 1999               Time: 1:32 PM
From:     Jerry Lawson
          The Hartford Insurance Group
(860)  547-2960          jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
Yesterday I downloaded the TSM 3.7 (Sorry - I'm just an Acronym sort of
Yesterday I downloaded the TSM 3.7 (Sorry - I'm just an Acronym sort of
guy)
client for Win32, and installed it on my machine.  I was a little bit of
surprised when I found that there was no GUI Admin client - just the GUI
backup client, and CLIs for the Backup and admin.  Well, maybe they were
rushed, and couldn't get it rolled out in time, I thought.

Then I tried my old 3.1 Admin GUI, and low and behold, it still seemed fine
-
after all, I haven't upgraded the server, so all should be well, right?  It
after all, I haven't upgraded the server, so all should be well, right?  It
was up until I shut it down, when it took an ANS8003S catastrophic error.
peek in the error log indicated that a couple of messages were missing from
the repository.  OK, I thought - time to report the problem, which I did.

The response, to my surprise, came back that there was no intention of
supporting a GUI for the Admin; we would now have to use a Web Browser
Interface.

I am still trying to see the logic in this.  My first inclination is that
some planners/developers have struck upon this as a neat way to avoid a GUI
application - they can now just use HTML and some Java.  Probably easier on
their end.  The trouble is, I don't think they have taken a look at
anyone's
network lately.  In my shop, this would mean that I need to keep a Browser
loaded all the time (certainly not a big deal), but I must also now contend
with internet and intranet traffic.  Our firewall is not always the best;
it
has sometimes caused outages to internet/intranet traffic when regular
TCP/IP
traffic to my server (OS/390) has not been impacted.  The bottom line is
that
I expect that response time will be slower, and availability will not be as
good.  Is this the way a major product should be going?

I think I understand some of the reasons given for web enabled clients, but
certainly do not want to have them as my sole means of access to a native
product.  I haven't been monitoring the list actively lately - has this
been
a hot discussion item that people are clamoring for?  What did I miss?
What
do others think?
                                                     Jerry
                                                     Jerry

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over..and expecting the results
be different - Anon.