ADSM-L

Re: Destroyed tape

1999-09-17 13:52:37
Subject: Re: Destroyed tape
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT NERSP.NERDC.UFL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 13:52:37 -0400
=> On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:00:54 -0600, bbullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
said:

>         WOAH, don't do a "delete vol ... discardd=yes" on the primary tape,
> it will delete all the references to the copypool backup. What you want to
> do is mark the tape as 'destroyed' (update vol ... access=destroyed). In the
> future, if there is a restore request for that data, ADSM will request the
> off-site copy to complete the restore.

I've now seen several people report this.  I just want to restate, to make
sure that I understand what's being claimed.

If I have three copies of a file scattered across a stgpool, and some copies,
and I delete vol... a volume with _one_ of those copies, _all_ of the copies
all across my stgpools are deleted.  Is this correct?

Allen S. Rout