ADSM-L

Re: moving node data from one stgpool to another...

1999-05-04 17:34:13
Subject: Re: moving node data from one stgpool to another...
From: Ray Harder <ccray AT SHOWME.MISSOURI DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 16:34:13 -0500
ok, couple of hints/pointers from the archive/list --
for the record, i tried the following and it worked
both forward and backwards...

export/import:
     - NODENAME <=== nodename...
     - OLDDOMAIN <=== the old domain containing the data to move...
     - NEWDOMAIN <=== the new domain to copy the data to...
   - lock node NODENAME
   - q filespace NODENAME  --and-- q occupancy NODENAME
   - export node NODENAME domains=OLDDOMAIN filedata=all preview=yes/no
     devclass=3590 scratch=yes usedvolumelist=NODENAME
   - delete filespace NODENAME * type=any
   - update node NODENAME domain=NEWDOMAIN
   - import node NODENAME filedata=all preview=yes/no devclass=3590
     volumenames=file:NODENAME
   - q filespace NODENAME  --and-- q occupancy NODENAME
   - delete volhistory todate=today totime=now type=export
   - unlock node nnnn
   - dsmc incremental on the node and watch file xfer information.

> > SUB:  moving node data from one stgpool to another...
> >
> > I have seen postings and studied the archives -- the
> > following question has been posted before, but i cant find
> > more than a vague answer, so...
> >
> > -  nodeA in domainA which eventually points to stgpoolA
> > -  there exists a domainB which eventually points to stgpoolB
> >                              which is on a different disk area.
> > -  you issue:  update node nodeA domain=domainB
> >
> > it appears by my testing and research:
> > -  nodeA does indeed get updated to domainB
> > -  an incremental migration causes changed files to go to
> >    stgpoolB
> > -  previously migrated files stay in stgpoolA
> > -  an expire inventory command brings a higher active copy
> >    count into alignment.
> > -  the node cannot get to the previously migrated files
> >    since they are in a different domain/storage pool.
> > -  the administrator can delete (or rename) the filespace
> >    which triggers a full incremental on the client.
> > -  a "move data" command will move some of the data from one
> >    stgpool volume to another, but you may also move another
> >    node's data and besides, what about the diskpool
> > -  export/import with update/renames have been rumored to
> >    work, but also rumored not to work -- sequence is apparently
> >    important.
> > so, the questions are:
> > -  is there some way to get the prior node data from stgpoolA to
> >    stgpoolB
> > -  can a sequence of export/import commands be made to work.
> >    and if so, what are they.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Ray Harder

Sincerely,