ADSM-L

Re: Accessing data on a tape with a damaged volume label

1999-02-24 19:17:37
Subject: Re: Accessing data on a tape with a damaged volume label
From: Ajax Dempsey <adempsey AT SUTMYN DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:17:37 -0800
Donald,

Depending on how the volume label was damaged, and whether the volume is
"round" or "cartridge," you may be able to recover the data.  However, most
cases of label damage are the result of its being over written, in which
case the data, tape mark, and inter block gap that were written, will
probably have destroyed enough ADSM data, so that it will not be recoverable.

I suggest running some maptape utility first, to determine the extent to
which headers, data, and trailers can be read.  (A maptape on a good ADSM
tape can be done to compare results).

Then, using the header and DCB information from the maptape, and a blank
tape initialized to the correct volume serial number, it should be possible
to create an IEBGENER job using "BLP" (bypass label processing) on the
SYSUT1 DD to copy the data from the damaged tape to the "SL" (standard
label) replacement tape on SYSUT2 DD.

Good Luck!

Ajax Dempsey
Sutmyn Storage Corp.