ADSM-L

Re: NT restore performance for small files

1999-02-03 07:50:42
Subject: Re: NT restore performance for small files
From: BFS <tsaijoen AT BFSORG DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 07:50:42 -0500
Matthias,

Yes it has impact when you turned compression on/off on the client, mainly I
use this rule, if their is enough bandwidth available and enough disk space
on my ADSM server than I don't use compression. Mostly using compression
makes restore or backup slower also if you use compression you need more CPU
capacity because uncompressing and compress of files is using a large amount
of CPU capacity. Within ADSM you need less space if you use compression but
you need more space for the ADSM DB but that is only a small amount. If I
need to use compression I recommend always to use hardware compression
preferable on the tape unit.

If you want to use ADSM and get optimal speed out of it you need to tune it
from time to time because mostly a lot of other components like OS, DB
location of files can change performance.

Regards Tjeerd Saijoen
www.bfsorg.com
tsaijoen AT bfsorg DOT com