ADSM-L

Re: NT restore performance for small files

1999-02-04 04:38:36
Subject: Re: NT restore performance for small files
From: Uwe Schoenacher <uwe.schoenacher AT LZB-BAYERN.BUNDESBANK DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 09:38:36 +0000
Hello Matthias,

you aren´t alone with your problems.

My actual backup-statistic of a NT-Fileserver (ADSM-Client 3.1.06) about
300.000 objects - 20GB Data took about 7 hrs. I tuned the adsm server and
the client according to the ibm tuning and performance guide. The
"advantage" was, that the backup could use the diskpool of the adsm server
to get the highest server performance never the less is the backup time
very bad.

But how long will the restore (client disaster recovery) from DLT-Tapes
last. I think I will not have the time to test that.

Uwe

     Two more items I like to discuss:
     1) Tuning: What about client compression? Does turning off has
impact
     on restore performance? Do I have to expect more space to be needed
     within ADSM, or does hardware compression equalize the space
needed?
     2) Conceptional: We think about tuning ADSM as backup tool to be
able
     to provide adequate disaster restore times. That is ok. Of course
IBM
     can expect ADSM Users to configure their clients according to
     proposals. But at a given level. For my opinion IBM cannot expect
that
     ADSM users do half the world in customizing to achieve better
     performance. I have the uncanny feeling that ADSM may not be
adequate
     to todays needs in comparision to other tools (including those that
do
     not use the network for backup and therefore are faster).
     It is very hard to explain ADSM as THE tool to customers when
steadily
     getting poor restore times in cases of big restore requests.
     Am I alone with this expectations?
     Matthias