ADSM-L

Re: ADSM on Solaris 7?

1999-01-09 02:11:47
Subject: Re: ADSM on Solaris 7?
From: Ed Janowiak <Janowiak AT ENVISIONET DOT NET>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 00:11:47 -0700
Christian,

Following is an email from my Unix administrator:

[I ran the modinfo command, and there was no vxfs.  It returned nothing.
The error that we are getting is when we do a pkgchk, it returns
"WARNING:  Package <SUNW***> is installed but empty."  This is the
message for most of the packages in the /var/sadm/pkg
directory.  We have checked the pkgchk command to make sure it wasn't
the /usr/sbin/pkgchk. I did a truss on the package SUNWabe, I'll attach
the file.  The Sun support said that it looks like the ADSM did
something, but it was inconclusive.]

Shortly after this, the Unix administrator worked with Sun support
somemore and found the \var\sadm\install\contents file had been either
damaged or corrupted. Sun thinks it was from the ADSM install, possibly
the Veritas support package. Sun's recommendation is to reload the OS
(Ouch!).

Do you think it's possibly the HSM component could do this to the OS if
VxFS were not actually installed?

Also, would you like a copy of the truss? I didn't want to attach it to
the listserv.

Thanks,

Ed Janowiak