ADSM-L

Re: Security Issue - How to locate all copies of a file?

1998-12-17 08:00:39
Subject: Re: Security Issue - How to locate all copies of a file?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 08:00:39 -0500
>I need (for security reasons) to identify all the tapes that contain backup
>versions of a particular file, and physically destroy/degauss the tapes.
>
>If I do "show volumeusage" for a node, it lists all the tapes containing
>files for that node IN THE PRIMARY TAPE POOL, but not the copy pools.
>
>The only thing I can think of, is to crank up the client, RESTORE a version
>of the file to identify the tape it is on, mark the tape as DESTROYED, and
>repeat the process until I identify all the tapes in the COPY pools.
>
>There's got to be a way to do this!
>We are ADSM V2 on AIX 4.2.1, about to convert to V3.

Wanda - Show Volumeusage will show you volumes used by that node, and
        from that you can do Query Content to find what primary pool
tape(s) contain the file.  Once you know those volumes you might do
'RESTORE Volume ... Preview=Yes' to identify the corresponding copy storage
pool volume(s) without actual restoral.  Time-consuming, but should work.
    Richard Sims, BU