ADSM-L

Re: Security Issue - How to locate all copies of a file?

1998-12-17 09:07:04
Subject: Re: Security Issue - How to locate all copies of a file?
From: Alexander Verkooijen <alexander AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 15:07:04 +0100
On 16-Dec-98 Prather, Wanda wrote:

> I need (for security reasons) to identify all the tapes that contain backup
> versions of a particular file, and physically destroy/degauss the tapes.
>
> If I do "show volumeusage" for a node, it lists all the tapes containing
> files for that node IN THE PRIMARY TAPE POOL, but not the copy pools.
>
> The only thing I can think of, is to crank up the client, RESTORE a version
> of the file to identify the tape it is on, mark the tape as DESTROYED, and
> repeat the process until I identify all the tapes in the COPY pools.
>
> There's got to be a way to do this!
> We are ADSM V2 on AIX 4.2.1, about to convert to V3.

Maybe you should wait until you're on V3 and then do a

select volume_name,node_name,filespace_name,file_name from contents \
where node_name='MYNODE'                                            \
and   filespace_name='/home'                                        \
and   file_name='/catbert/raises.txt'

This command shows all volumes that contain /home/catbert/raises
on the file system /home on the node MYNODE.
The downside is that this command may take a (very long) time to
complete.

Regards,

Alexander

Alexander Verkooijen     SARA
Alexander Verkooijen     SARA
Systems Programmer       Academic Computing
alexander AT sara DOT nl        Services Amsterdam