ADSM-L

Re: DLT/SCSI Configuration

1998-05-11 12:13:56
Subject: Re: DLT/SCSI Configuration
From: John Rajca <jrajca AT AGL.COM DOT AU>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 09:13:56 -0700
Dan,

A DLT7000 has a throughput of 5MB/sec with compression turned off and
10MB/sec with compression on and data that is being compressed by the
DLT7000 in a ratio of 2 to 1. If you have ADSM compression enabled, the
DLT7000 will probably not be able to get any worthwhile compression done
trying to compress data that has already been compressed by ADSM client
software.

Thus, I would not expect any significant performance improvement going
from 2 drives per SCSI channel to one drive per SCSI channel. The SCSI
channel utilisation would drop from 50% to 25% with only a small
performance improvement.

If on the other hand, you were not using ADSM compression and the
DLT7000 was compressing by 2 to 1, the SCSI channel utilisation would
drop from about 100% to about 50% and the improvement would be a bit
higher.

If you had 3 DLT7000s on a single fast/wide 20MB/sec SCSI without ADSM
compression, there would definitely be a SCSI channel bottleneck and you
would see a significant performance improvement going from 3 drives per
SCSI to either 2 or 1 drive per SCSI.

Best regards .... John Rajca (Australian Gas Light Company)