ADSM-L

EXB210 and ADSM V2 for OS/2 with level 0.14

1998-03-23 12:15:50
Subject: EXB210 and ADSM V2 for OS/2 with level 0.14
From: Claus Schroeder <CSH AT TD.HEMPEL DOT DK>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 12:15:50 -0500
     ADSM support please read this:

     We have just purchased an EXB210 tape library with two Eliant 820
     drives. Before installing it the server software was upgraded to V2 R1
     level 0.14. Afterwards it seems as a number of things have happened.

     A. Using a Exabyte 8085XL for labelling tapes,  the labbeled tapes
     doesn't stay in the eliant drives unless they are write protected.
     Exabyte tech supports says that this behaviour  indicates that the
     tape has been formatted with the old 8200 format which the eliant
     drive cannot write to (why writable tapes of this format are ejected).
     Thge eliant can read this format, therefore writeprotected tapes stays
     in the drive.

     B. Trying to label types using the eliant drives an I/O error occurs.
     Using the trace facility the sense data (according to Exabyte tech
     support) indicates that an illegal operation has been tried. Maybe
     trying to label the tape using the - for eliant drives - illegal
     format 8200.

     Our old tapes, labelled before level 0.14 works fine with the eliant
     drives. The labels are recognized with no problems at all.

     Does anybody know how to get around this problem? Tomorrow I will
     reinstall level 0.12 on the server to see if the 8505XL can label
     tapes so they can be read/written by the eliant drives. But reading
     the device support pdf-file, it is stated that to get support for the
     eliant drives one needs the level 0.14 software. I am seriously
     confused and a little irritated. If somebody know how to make the
     eliant drives play, please help.

     Thanks in advance,

     kind regards

     Claus Schroeder