ADSM-L

Re: Stg Pool Delete

1997-12-14 09:44:22
Subject: Re: Stg Pool Delete
From: Longshot <longshot AT CYBERRAMP DOT NET>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 08:44:22 -0600
>To: XXXXXXXX--XXXXXXXX
>
>From: Joe N. Oliver, B-284, Eastman Chemicals, Kingsport, Tn. 37662
>Subject: Stg Pool Delete
>I need to delete a storage pool consisting of more than 3400 cartridges.
>Does anyony know if this can be done without first deleting the volumes?
>This will be a lengthy process if not.

Doh!  My first reply was incomplete!

If all these cartridges are defines as scratch volumes to the stgpool, all
you'll have to do to delete them is to migrate all the data on them to a
different storage pool (you can set it up so that multiple volumes to into
one large disk scratch volume, which you'll have to delete and redefine as it
fills, or set up a script for that).  Then ADSM will delete each scratch
volume in your storage pool as it empties.

Probably not acceptable, as it would require each of the 3400 carts to be
mounted and read, but it's a technically valid option, so I thought I should
throw it in the mix.  If you're looking to reduce the time involved, though,
this won't help you anywhere near as much as it would someone looking to delete
3400 disk scratch volumes.

Again, good luck, and merry xmas!

Regards,

Longshot