ADSM-L

Re: Hangs During NDS Backup

1997-06-23 14:33:01
Subject: Re: Hangs During NDS Backup
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 14:33:01 EDT
On Mon, 23 Jun 1997 13:07:53 -0500 Ken Rackow said:
>     We are using ADSM version 2, release 1, level 0.9 on an MVS server to
>     back up our Novell 4.11 file servers (running client Version 2,
>     release 1, level 0.7). As part of the nightly backup schedule, we
>     perform an incremental backup of one of our Netware 4.11 file servers,
>     then, later, we perform a SELECTIVE to back up the NDS on the same
>     file server.
>
>     Twice now in the past two weeks, the DMSC NLM has hung immediately
>     after the NDS backup started.  If an attempt is made to unload the
>     hung NLM, the Netware server console also hangs, and no server console
>     is available until the file server is re-booted.  DSMERROR.LOG doesn't
>     indicate any errors, and DSMSCHED.LOG just shows the NDS backup
>     starting, but no other information.  Querying the log on the ADSM
>     server just indicates that the scheduled event starts, then the error:
>     ANR0482W Session 423 for node XXXXXXX (NetWare) terminated - idle for
>     more than 15 minutes.
>
>     Has anyone else seen or repaired this problem?

We have seen one-half the problem. There is a known-to-IBM problem, in
unloading the dsmc.nlm, if it is in session with the adsm server.
The console will hang in this case. To prevent this problem,
IBM says that one should use an adsm admin session to
cancel the session then unload the nlm.

Our Novell support person (I am on the server end and not the novell end)
says that on Novell 4 we get the console hang with the unload of the
dsmc.nlm even if it is not in session. He does not see the problem
with Novell 3.

len

Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
203 SAS Campus Drive
Cary NC 27513