ADSM-L

ADSM Copypool and DRM Questions

1997-05-01 10:34:35
Subject: ADSM Copypool and DRM Questions
From: Dennis Hatch <DCHatch AT HEALTHPLAN DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 10:34:35 -0400
We are in the process of setting up ADSM for all of our UNIX and Novell
clients.  Our setup is:
OS/390 1.2 w/ ADSM MVS 2.1 as the server
100MB Ethernet using an OSA II adaptor on an CMOS 9672
3490 drives with 220 MB capacity per cartridge
UNIX and Novell systems with 400GB storage

We plan on backing up all servers to our primary pool of DASD and
cartridge media.  We estimate our cartrigde use to be about 1000 tapes.

The users require weekly off-site backups of all servers for D/R
reasons.  I know I can use copy pools of the primary pool to do this,
but the volume of cartridges and the time to create these on a weekly
basis is outside our limits.  I have also looked at the DRM option, but
still run into these constraints.

The option of doing a full archive for each server each week is there
(thanks Pete), but still were are looking at about 500 tapes.

How are other shops with this amount of storage using off-site copies of
the primary pool?  Being new to ADSM, am I missing somthing on how this
process works?

Dennis Hatch
HealthPlan Services
Tampa, FL
DCHatch AT HealthPlan DOT com
"my snowbrush and ice scraper are now tanning on the beach"