ADSM-L

Re: Symbolic link problems - Please IBM, respond to this...

1997-03-07 02:50:22
Subject: Re: Symbolic link problems - Please IBM, respond to this...
From: Dirk Kastens <dkastens AT RZ.UNI-OSNABRUECK DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 08:50:22 +0100
Hi again,

On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, Hilton Tina wrote:

> Have you tried opening a problem with IBM?  That's the "official" way to
> report problems and get resolutions.  If you pay for AIX support line, you
> can call, fax, email, whatever you prefer.  If you don't, I believe you're
> limited to faxing questions.
>
> The fact that we do get some answers here is nice, but I don't want the
> IBMers scared off because they'll get yelled at if they don't answer all
> questions.  I appreciate the fact that they take the time to help out when
> they can.

I agree with you, I also appreciate that IBMers take the time
to read our questions. But the problem that Christo, I and
some other have is, that we don't know if it's a "feature" or
a bug that ADSM doesn't support symbolic links. If it's a
feature than it would take 30 seconds to say "No, ADSM doesn't
support symbolic links." Then we had to decide if we want
to live with this drawback or if we should use another product.
It would also take 30 seconds to say "Yes, ADSM supports
symbolic links." Then we know that we made a mistake or that
there is an error in the server/client software and we could
open a problem with IBM.

Regards,

Dirk Kastens _______________Dirk.Kastens AT rz.Uni-Osnabrueck DOT DE
Universitaet Osnabrueck     Phone: +49/541/969-2347 (work)
Rechenzentrum               Fax:   +49/541/969-2470 (work)
Albrechtstr. 28             Phone: +49/541/258182   (private)
49069 Osnabrueck
Germany