ADSM-L

Re: Tape reclamation and one drive ????

1997-02-26 20:37:47
Subject: Re: Tape reclamation and one drive ????
From: "Dwight E. Cook" <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 19:37:47 -0600
     I know I'm a little anal here but just to clarify things for those
     early stage ADSM'ers who have the buzzwords swimming around in their
     heads and are reading a lot of these posts going "NOW WAIT A MINUTE!"
     1) two types of copy groups BACKUP & ARCHIVE
     2) data within the BACKUP copy group will either be ACTIVE or INACTIVE
     3) archive data will either be there or not... don't think they have a
     special term for existing archive data...
     4) BACKUP ACTIVE data implies that it is the/a copy of data as it
     existed on the client during the last INCREMENTAL or SELECTIVE  AND
     that it did exist on the client during the last inc or sel...   ***
     5) BACKUP INACTIVE data implies that:
        A) it is NOT the most recent copy ie. an old version
            C:\autoexec.bat  02/20/1997 ACTIVE
            C:\autoexec.bat  01/30/1997 INACTIVE
            C:\autoexec.bat  12/25/1996 INACTIVE
        B) is is a copy of a file that was found to have been deleted from
     the client during the last incremental / selective run...
            C:\autoexec.old  02/20/1997 INACTIVE
            C:\autoexec.old  01/30/1997 INACTIVE
         (this assumes that "VERDELETED=2" and on 02/20/1997 you did
     something like copied autoexec.bat to autoexec.old, installed new
     software that changed autoexec.bat, let it go for a day and then on
     the 21st you deleted autoexec.old and ran an incremental...)

     What I'm trying to point out is when the term "ACTIVE DATA" is being
     thrown around here IT INCLUDES ACTIVE & INACTIVE DATA BUT EXCLUDES
     that copy of C:\autoexec.old from 10/10/1996 that was rolled into
     the'ol bit bucket trash can and might be on a tape but can't be found
     in any query or any search of the adsm data base...(ok... might be but
     has some bitflag indicating that it is gone... just like dos alters
     the first character of a data set name to (whatever) when it is
     "deleted" until a defrag is run against the disk...

     In short (like I can do anything short, ha!) MOVEDATA will transfer
     anything you care about and leave behind anything your DON'T care
     about... and to determine just what space to allow for if moving a
     tape to disk simply use (estimated capacity) X (%Util) = (what you
     better have free in the stg pool you point the move data to)
     and as many have pointed out use QUERY VOLUME * STG=yourtapepool (or)
     QUERY VOLUME tapevolprefix*  (but this will cause more work)

     whew! I'll shut up now...;-)
     later
          Dwight