ADSM-L

Re: Tape reclamation and one drive ????

1997-02-26 08:26:00
Subject: Re: Tape reclamation and one drive ????
From: Sal Salak Juraj <sal AT MSM.KEBA.CO DOT AT>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 14:26:00 +0100
Morris,

you do not have to create disk pool so large.
1) move data will onle move active data
2) the disk pool can be small than the sum of active data.

What you can do before you purchase seond tape drive is:
a) mark the tape as read-only (via adsm , not the tape itself)
b) move the tape data into that disk storage pool, where the data
originally came from (why not?)
c) watch the move process and cancell it as soon as disk pool wants to
be migrated
d) if tape still contains data, go to (b)
e) last, I marked the tape read-write.

Juraj SALAK

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Dwight E. Cook wrote:

|      Use "move data blahtapevolser stg=somediskstoragepool"  then it
will
|      empty the tape to disk and return the tape to scratch status, if
you
|      checked them in as status=scratch to begin with...

Interesting.  During that move, will ADSM move the entire contents, or
just the data that is active?  Many of my full volumes show the
utilization as low as 10%.  I'm using DLT4 tapes and really don't have
the
resources to create a 20-40GB storage pool.  :)