ADSM-L

Re: ADSM's FTP Server - An Update

1996-10-10 04:26:44
Subject: Re: ADSM's FTP Server - An Update
From: Ole Holm Nielsen <ohnielse AT FYSIK.DTU DOT DK>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 09:26:44 MET
Uwe Fischer <Uwe.Fischer AT RUS.Uni-Stuttgart DOT DE> wrote:

> If its IBM intend to use resources efficiently - which is a good idea -,
> and they will have us looking for new software maintenance levels instead
> of calling the support centers - and often there the answer would be "get
> the new v2r1mX code" - then claiming that there is ONE supported annonymous
> FTP server and three mirrors maintained by non-IBM volunteers is completely
> inadequate.
> I would suggest, that IBM sets up supported mirrors at some of their national
> subsidaries, or at least establish mechanisms which would enable the volunteer
> mirrors to keep in sync in a reasonable timeframe.

I agree completely.  Why don't you put all of the ADSM client and
server updates on the IBM FixDist FTP servers, which are distributed
and have excellent bandwidths ?

I don't understand that such a strategic product as ADSM is serviced by
such an underpowered FTP server, when IBM has the FixDist servers.
Seems like IBM needs to get it's act together, IMHO.

Best regards,
Ole H. Nielsen

Ole Holm Nielsen
UNI-C, Building 304
Technical University of Denmark, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark
E-mail: Ole.H.Nielsen AT uni-c DOT dk or Ole.H.Nielsen AT fysik.dtu DOT dk
WWW URL: http://www.fysik.dtu.dk/persons/ohnielse.html
Telephone: (+45) 35 87 89 65