ADSM-L

Re: ADSM's FTP Server - An Update

1996-10-11 04:31:51
Subject: Re: ADSM's FTP Server - An Update
From: Andreas Floeter <Andreas.Floeter AT AIRBUS DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 10:31:51 +0200
On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Ole Holm Nielsen wrote:

> Uwe Fischer <Uwe.Fischer AT RUS.Uni-Stuttgart DOT DE> wrote:
>=20
> > If its IBM intend to use resources efficiently - which is a good idea -=
,
> > and they will have us looking for new software maintenance levels inste=
ad
> > of calling the support centers - and often there the answer would be "g=
et
> > the new v2r1mX code" - then claiming that there is ONE supported annony=
mous
> > FTP server and three mirrors maintained by non-IBM volunteers is comple=
tely
> > inadequate.
> > I would suggest, that IBM sets up supported mirrors at some of their na=
tional
> > subsidaries, or at least establish mechanisms which would enable the vo=
lunteer
> > mirrors to keep in sync in a reasonable timeframe.
>=20
> I agree completely.  Why don't you put all of the ADSM client and
> server updates on the IBM FixDist FTP servers, which are distributed
> and have excellent bandwidths ?
>=20
> I don't understand that such a strategic product as ADSM is serviced by
> such an underpowered FTP server, when IBM has the FixDist servers.
> Seems like IBM needs to get it's act together, IMHO.

Those two statement I only can second. Probably the ADSM product does not
have the same standing within IBM as other products of the IBM. Not only
the ftp-servers are slower but also the hotline support is not as good as
the one for AIX.=20
=20
> Best regards,
> Ole H. Nielsen
>=20
>=20
> Ole Holm Nielsen
> UNI-C, Building 304
> Technical University of Denmark, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark
> E-mail: Ole.H.Nielsen AT uni-c DOT dk or Ole.H.Nielsen AT fysik.dtu DOT dk
> WWW URL: http://www.fysik.dtu.dk/persons/ohnielse.html
> Telephone: (+45) 35 87 89 65
>=20

Regards,

     Andreas Fl=F6ter

Disclaimer: These are my views and not those of my employer.

=09=09=09Andreas Floeter
Phone: +49 40 74 37 - 48 50=09FAX: +49 40 74 37 - 27 55 (or 47 60)
email: Andreas.Floeter AT airbus DOT de

=09=09Daimler-Benz Aerospace Airbus GmbH
Kreetslag 10, 21129 Hamburg; Postfach 95 01 09, 21111 Hamburg, Germany